Here you can see the beeswax before it was melted. I crushed some of it to the bottom and left some of it in bigger chunks. I wanted to see how long it would take to melt the beeswax and figured this was a good test. The bowl is hard plastic. I set it in a pot of water. To keep the plastic from touching the pot and possibly melting I put two canning rings in the bottom of the pot and set the plastic bowl on top of these. After the water began to boil the beeswax did not begin melting for a long time. I put a large lid over the top of the beeswax to hold the heat in. This sped up the process a good bit even though it was not as fast as I would have thought.
Once the beeswax began to melt I checked it from time to time and stirred the unmelted beeswax on top into the melted beeswax in the bottom. This really helped the process as the heat just wasn't enough to melt beeswax that was too far from where the bowl contacted the water.
Once the beeswax was melted it was time to pour. I had a cheap plastic container with doubled cheesecloth across the top. The cheesecloth was fastened with a rubber band. I've heard that it's important to pour all your beeswax at once to keep it from cooling in the cheesecloth and thus clogging it. I did this and it seemed to work well. My only issue was that there was so much trash in with the beeswax that I'm afraid it kept some beeswax from getting through. It would be better to find someway to get the major trash out first.
Once the pouring was done I let the beeswax cool. It solidified pretty quickly but it does take a long time for it to really harden. The beeswax looks good after this one pouring but I can tell there is pollen and some other small solids in it. We are most likely going to make a candle out of it this round so this isn't a major concern.
Since I use top bar hives I should have a good bit of wax and am really interesting in making beeswax candles, lip balm, and other items. Overall I'm pretty pleased with this first go around.